Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Day 12 - Shifting Gears

Another good day.  I started early, but I decided that, rather than go for record word count, I should start the overdue read-through this evening.

Today's Progress: 1800 words on In Flight.  I already had about 20k words on this, and I've added almost 10k more.  I have been on this tear without looking back at ANYTHING I wrote before.  I think it's time I did.  I'm going to do a little cutting and pasting to get the scenes in approximate order, and then start a read through.

That will likely take a couple of days.  I might write small bits to fill in as I go, or I might just work on some other project for the next few days.

Eating, Reading, Writing: Made a nice ribeye steak and popovers.  Also bread (though that was not for me or for today.)  Rendered a chunk of suet so I would have beef fat for the freezer. (You'd be amazed at what a tiny chunk of beef fat can do to the flavor of just about anything fried or sauteed.  It also is the very best thing for seasoning your cast iron.)

I listened to a couple of episodes of Garrison Keillor's News From Lake Woebegone from February, and watched a little public affairs TV.

This was not what I planned to do.  I think when I'm on a writing tear, it takes a lot of out of me -- especially when I'm wrestling with some major issues for the protagonist.  It's fine to play with impact characters but with a woman-in-jeopardy romantic suspense, you DO have to spend time inside the head of a struggling character -- and that's what I did today.  It can take a lot of recharge.  Still, I would have rather done some drawing while listening.  Instead I zoned out and played Spiderette.

See you in the funny papers.

No comments: