Sunday, June 15, 2014

Day 67 - Let the Good Words Roll

I did over 3200 words today, but it was mostly nonfiction.

Still I was pleased with what I did with In Flight today.  I'm a little concerned that it might ramp up some tension and knowledge too early.  Did I burn my steps? Did Reef learn too much for later twists and revelations?

I'm thinking that, though Reef is a bit of a doofus, it may be good to have him a little wiser and wilier than he seems.  Chef is his mentor, after all.  So playing his cards close to the chest could come naturally.

Also, one of the things that I always liked about the Lockridges -- the Golden Age authors I'm reading right now -- is that they had a tendency to go ahead and burn their steps on certain things, and then let that push them into more interesting territory. 

Also, Reef has an excuse: he's falling in love, so even if he knows things, his judgement might be a little impaired.

Tomorrow, I might pause to knit together what I've got, but I'm going to try for getting a lot further.  I only have about ten days before I have to set this aside and start working seriously on The Man Who Ran Away. (I'll be visiting some places that will be evocative for that.)

See you in the funny papers.

No comments: