Sunday, January 17, 2010

Day 8 - 1723 Words of Bunny Chasing

Part of my problem has been that I have been writing screenplays for so long. I'm having a bit of deja vu, though, to when I first learned to write screenplays, and I went back to fiction for a short time. I had to remind myself that writing scripts was like travelling by freeway. You get from here to there, and you get there fast and in the most direct way possible. Writing a novel is like hiking. You may have a firm destination, and you may have a planned path, but you do have time to not only pause and smell the roses, but you can chase the bunnies a bit too.

Part of my problem with my opening is that I really want to do absolutely everything in the first five pages. And you just can't do that. Do one thing well.

Right now, though, I have reached the place where things can move. And today I did chase a nice fat bunny, who isn't even a red herring at all. He's a real Clue Bunny, whose presence explains how a particular turn of events happens in the background. Later.

Running Total: 9524 Words.


9524 / 60000 words. 16% done!

In Today's Pages: George pondering, Karla evading.

1 comment:

Kathy McIntosh said...

Okay...not back, same day I found you. You are making terrific progress! Love the scale.