Monday, June 30, 2014

Day 82 - Back From My Meanderings

Friends were traveling up to near where my father's family is from -- the area which kinda sorta inspired the imaginary Potewa County where the Starling and Marquette books are located.   So I went along to soak up a little atmosphere and geography for The Man Who Ran Away.  And though we never did get to my home stamping grounds, the area we did visit -- Traverse City, the Mission Peninsula, Leelenau and Sleeping Bear -- are what you might call "upscale" locations, and that particular book will take place in and around a country club.

This picture is from  Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore.  I didn't happen to get any good pictures of the woods, but this is sort of representative of what feels like home to me: sand and trees.  And high high dunes (one of which has been labeled a "mountain" and is a well-established ski resort), and of course, vineyards, cherry trees and snow.  In the picture here we are standing on top of a massive dune - many miles long, and tens of thousands of acres in volume, but not a ski resort -- which is said to be the sleeping mother bear of the two drowned baby bears who are the islands you can see in the distance. Maybe more pictures later....



It was a very short visit, just a couple of days, but on the way home we also swung around the east side of the state and had lunch in Frankemuth... a kitschy tourist town in which I really really really want to set a screenplay of a edgy modern version of The Prisoner of Zenda. (Called The Prisoner of Zehnders.  This title is much funnier to people from Michigan. But if I ever write it, I can't use that title because I don't want to get sued.)

Hmmmmmm.  I wonder if that idea could turn into something for George and Karla?  I'd have to drop the whole "hero looks like the king" but it could have a cast of characters or motives that remind Karla of P of Z.

In the meantime, I was going to tell you about a new idea I had for when I go back to blogging... but I've messed around here enough.

See you in the funny papers.

2 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Sounds like a fun visit! And a country club would be a great setting for a book, I think. One of my Memphis books was partially set in a country club (dishonest politician hung out there). :)

The Daring Novelist said...

Country clubs are naturals for mysteries. I'm reading a Lockridge novel that takes place partly at one right now! (So much social posturing and competition!)