Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Writer Wednesday - In Control

As a writer...

You don't control your readers.
You don't control your sales.
You don't control your reviews.
You don't control your word-of-mouth.

You don't control what other people decide to think...
...about you.
....about your work.
.....about the world.
......about self-publishing or the publishing industry.
.......about spelling, or tense, or word choice, or subject matter.

You don't control your reputation... No, make that, you CAN'T control your reputation, no matter how hard you try.

All you can control is what you write.

When the things you don't control distract you, you take your eye off the ball.... and then you lose control of the only thing within your power.

Keep your eyes on the prize, folks.  Don't get distracted.

See you in the funny papers.




Progress report for "A Round of Words in 80 Days"

Sunday Day 63 - 240 minutes (approximately - kept forgetting to set the timer)
Monday Day 64 - 95 minutes.
Tuesday Day 65 - 75 minutes.

1 comment:

T.K. Marnell said...

Nooo! I wish everything you said was a lie ;-;

Oh well. I realized that Disney lied to me and I really have zero control over my success somewhere between the completion of degree #1 and the dismal failure of career #3. So I'm poor and the Internet hates me. But at least I'm happy when I stay off it and don't see how much :D