Sunday, September 16, 2012

Sunday Update - and Coming Attractions

It was a mistake to shift this blog back into gear before I was done with Misplaced Hero, and while the day job was shifting into high gear, too.  It isn't beyond what I can handle, but too many tasks are piling up on the sides.

So for the next two weeks I am suspending the Tuesday post, turning Wednesday back into a ROW80 update post, and giving you a much more shallow Friday post. (I will do the Daring Adventure Stories "4th Tuesday" post, and announce it here.)

A Round of Words in 80 Days Update

This Segment's Progress:

Wednesday Day 73 - 204 minutes.
Thursday Day 74 -120 minutes.
Friday Day 75 -155 minutes.
Saturday Day 76 - 170 minutes.


So... while I've been doing too much blogging, what have I been neglecting?

First, I need to prep The Misplaced Hero ebook.  I also wanted to experiment with audio, and maybe record one episode. It could even be a kind of "book trailer." (I've been thinking of doing Episode 5, when Thorny jumps into the river.)

I also need to get ready for the next story, Test of Freedom.  I started Misplaced Hero off the cuff, as a fun experiment.  But this fall it's no longer an experiment, so I need to do more in the way of prepping the art style -- which means doing a bunch of drawings.

I also need to take advantage of the fact that Test of Freedom is a sequel to The Wife of Freedom: the first book I self-published two years ago.  A book which desperately needs to be revisited and updated.

So I need to read it over and reformat it to new standards, and write new "end of book" notes (directing people to the online sequel).

And as long as I'm working on reformatting and uploading, I might as well work on updating a template and general workflow I use to format ebooks, so I can update my other older boks.  Also update their end-of-book notes.  And, of course, redo the covers at a higher rez so that Apple will be happy.  That's going to be a long process, but it's best to take the time to set up the workflow and templates now, to make it all easier later on.

Finally, one of the other things I've been neglecting are the little touches. My mind is often too preoccupied to do things like come up with a decent title to a post or episode. (See note for Episode 40 below.)  I also think my blog posts themselves are suffering from a lack of focus.

And that makes me wonder if I should talk about the Writer version of Dave Ramsey's "Debt Snowball" when I come back to full blogging in October.  You can learn a lot about managing your time by applying the principles of managing money.


This Past Week's Posts:



Coming This Week on the Blog:

Monday - Episode 39 "Rozinshura vs. The Plot"
A man with a limp - and a secret - needs a car.

Wednesday - ROW80 Round 3 final wrap up post.
Technically, yeah, it's a day early, but I generally start a day early too, and the rest of the darned dare is committed to Sun/Wed updates.

Thursday - Episode 40 "Currently Untitled Ep Finishing up Alex's Fight with Pookiterin"
The name says it all.

Friday Favorites - The Ever-Evolving Top-Ten Movies List


See you in the funny papers.

2 comments:

Julie Glover said...

I've followed some of Dave Ramsey's financial principles as well. His approach is great.

Good consistent word count this week. Best wishes with your goals!

The Daring Novelist said...

Yeah, and I think his approach to money actually echoes what a lot people need to hear about time management.