Sunday, December 26, 2010

Dec Dare Day 22 - 1956 Words and Simultaneous Action

Today's Progress - 1956 Words on Harsh Climate
Running Total: 21156


21156 / 30000 words. 71% done!

Okay, now we're getting somewhere. I hope to do at least this well tomorrow, if not a little better. The action scenes at the end get quicker and quicker. I am coming again to scenes which should have a lot of intercutting in a movie, but since they are simultaneous action and they don't interact with each other much, I think I can just do one scene and then another, and maybe sometimes have a marker that shows where the timeline intersects.

That is I hope to handle it a bit like Phillip Craig and William Tapply handle their jointly written mysteries - where the story goes back and forth, chapter-by-chapter, between their two heroes. Often at the end, we'll see one character's point of view for a whole chapter, and then the next chapter runs over the same time frame from the other character's point of view - and they only overlap at the end of each chapter.

It works as a suspense tool just as well as cutting back and forth. Sometimes better, because you sow a seed at the end of one section, and then you let the audience forget about it - except that they haven't completely forgotten, so that when they see indications of the truth later on, they have a sudden flush of anticipation.

I don't know if I can make use of that anticipation as well with this particular set of scenes, but I'm going to try. And I figure this is all going to be rough, so I'll polish it in if I have to.

Tomorrow I hope to get to the year in review. It's been quite a year. I am looking forward to an amazing year next year too.

No comments: