Monday, March 1, 2010

Day 44 - 1323 Words and Character Layers

"They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself."
– Andy Warhol

Yesterday and today I did more rewrite work on existing material, as well as another outline. I still have fuzzy vague parts toward the end, but I'm definitely getting somewhere.

I am extremely pleased with my new opening. Perhaps excessively pleased. My alpha reader, who did not like the first version at all, likes it this time. I finally figured out that George can't be introduced inside his own point of view.

On the outside he has this very thin veneer of James Bond. The serious Daniel Craig version of James Bond. And deep inside his true soul is Roger Moore as The Saint. But in between, just barely covered by the Bond veneer, is John McClane (Bruce Willis in Die Hard). Once you've seen the cool exterior, it's fine to see the out-of-his-depth cowboy pedaling as fast as he can. But since he's barely aware of the veneer, it doesn't work introducing him the other way around.

Running Total: 43541 Words.


43541 / 70000 words. 62% done!

In Today's Pages: George is not feeling at all like any of the above mentioned action stars, but more like Bill Murray.

No comments: