Friday, October 23, 2009

Day 1 - 1320 Words Toward a Finished Novel AND a Better World

It was a Jimmy Stewart day. Our local theater screens some classic movies every so often, and today they played Harvey. And later they are going to have The Glenn Miller Story with Jimmy Stewart. Couple this with the fact that one of my book's main characters is a serious classic movie fanatic, and I'd say it was a grand day to begin this novel dare.

Today's total: 1320 words

1137 words on the novel. Scenes from the middle of the book. Karla cleans up the mess. George accuses her of curing his girlfriend via 1970's feminist movies. (Haven't got to her response of "No, it was Casablanca" yet.)

183 words on an open letter to my union membership about voting in the next election of college trustees. I figured I should include the campaign letter because I took time out from my novel writing to compose it. (One can only hope it will make a difference.)

A couple of techniques that helped with today's progress:

  • Take notes the night before.
  • Start something early. Even if you only have a short time in the morning, a few sentences can be all it takes to give you a boost later when you can really sit down and work.
  • Take some time to recharge the mind. (We went to the movies.)
  • Listen to some energizing music to liven your brain and get in the mood. (Thus I recommend tonight's selection of Glenn Miller's In The Mood.)

See you tomorrow!

No comments: