Sunday, January 17, 2016

ROW 80 - A Book Cover Dare!

So.....

I have decided that I can't be "The Daring Novelist" if I don't do some kind of dare once in while. Even if it's an Art Dare rather than a Writing Dare.

As a result, I'm rejoining A Round Of Words in 80 Days (ROW80), even though it's been going for two weeks already, but I'll be doing artwork and blogging, instead of working on a novel.

(For those of you from ROW80, who are just joining us... life issues have made writing difficult just now.  I am retreating for a while into art. Which is just as much fun.)

Goals:

*Two covers finished and uploaded to Self-Pub Book Covers every night.  (And I'm not even starting late on that! I've been doing about that many since the first of the month!  However I do want to keep this pace up.)

Once I have 100 covers up at SPBC, though, I will slow down the covers specifically for them.  Some of the covers will be for my own portfolio of premade covers for direct sale. (Or for my own books. Or for my own fun.)

*Write interesting ROW80 update posts, about the art and the stories the covers tell.  Since Self-Pub Book Covers insists on very limited typography options (authors often set their own type with limited online tools on the site -- so our designs have to reflect/account for that), I may do some more flashy typography on some of the covers I post here, just to spread my wings.

*1-2 additional posts a week.  I would like to start writing my "Friday Favorites" again -- commentary on favorite (and often lesser-known) movies, directors, actors, writers, books, whatever.  And I'd like to do posts on art and publishing -- and maybe commentary on other covers -- classic or current covers I stumble across.  Or on design issues that authors and do-it-yourself cover folks need to know.

So for this first update, here are the covers I've done in the last few days (I will post the "comments on the covers" in a separate post which I'll link here and on my next update tomorrow, just because I decided to do this at the last moment, and I'm in a rush):


These are available for purchase at my DaringNovelist portfolio at Self-Pub Book Covers .

OOPS! - edit to add: you can find other folks involved in the ROW80 Dare at the Jan 17 Update Page.

See you in the funny papers!

8 comments:

Chris Loehmer Kincaid said...

Welcome back to ROW80! I think that working on these covers definitely counts and puts you in the running for the Round. Best wishes in the coming weeks.

The Daring Novelist said...

Thanks, Chris! Got my second cover done for tonight, but I've got to get a little more prep work done for tomorrow, or I won't make it!

Good luck to you too!

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Glad you're doing a dare! Love the covers. :)

vamp_writer said...

Love the covers! And welcome to ROW80!

Steph Beth Nickel said...

I love that you've joined us and are sharing your book covers. Kudos! All the best in Round 1 of ROW80.

The Daring Novelist said...

Elizabeth, Erin, Steph: Thanks! Glad to be back.

I also feel like hitting a schedule like this will help with the writing.

jnfr said...

I always love seeing your artwork.

The Daring Novelist said...

Jnfr:

:-)