Sunday, November 20, 2011

ROW80 sunday update

I've got some fun upcoming posts, but I don't have time to polish them up and post them this week. This week is going to be hectic, and I'm far from where I want to be on the book.

But I still might be done by the end of the day on Wednesday. The main thing holding me up are the sections that need replacing. They don't necessarily need to be completely replaced, but they needed massive thinking.

Why?

Because they were utterly static. They didn't drive anywhere. In one case, the premise of the scene was contrived. There wasn't a motive for the character doing it that way. So I hammered it out and hammered it out... and eventually came up with a reason for the scene that threaded perfectly with earlier work and drove the scene to a better conclusion, and set me up for the next segment.

But I'm going to be very busy every day between now, and, oh, next Christmas? Maybe the one after that?

Wednesday Day 45 - 0 minutes. Usual day off.

Thursday Day 46 - 90 minutes. Spent too much time watching Occupy Wall Street on livestreams.

Friday Day 47 - 91 minutes. Spent most of that time pulling out the seams on a boring chapter of investigation. I beat it out again, and now there is some narrative drive, and George has a reason for doing what he does, as opposed to me having the reason.

Saturday Day 48 - 120 minutes. Still had at least an hour's worth of beat work to do, and I lost track of time, so that's approximate.

But it's after 3 am and I've got to get to bed.

See you in the funny papers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Progress is progress and will all add up to a finished project in the end. It sounds like you are taking the correct steps to polish up your work and make it the best it can be. Not an easy thing to do, but inevitably rewarding.

Have a great coming week :)

The Daring Novelist said...

Yeah, it's just at that frustrating moment where it is VERY close. Should have been done today, but more likely will be several days.