Tuesday, April 30, 2013

April, Go She Will

Not that April didn't have its bright spots, but...well... we shall draw a veil over April, knock on wood, and look forward to a brighter May.

Most of the things I planned to do in April got steamrollered by ducks.  (You know that saying about being nibbled to death by ducks? Well, my ducks were tiny merganser "saw-toothed" ducks, who came equipped with steamrollers.)

Some of the things I meant to do can be rescheduled, but I am greatly annoyed that I never got the chance to get the new artwork style settled for The Case of the Misplaced Baroness. I needs to be consistent with the Misplaced Hero illos, but I wanted to take it to a new level. I was thinking of adding line to it, not just shape.  Also thinking of changing the color palette.

I was hoping to start off with the style already figured out, but alas, like Test of Freedom, or even the Misplaced Hero, the first few illustrations will suck, or at least not be what the series style will end up as.  Maybe I'll get lucky. I have all weekend.

Thursday I will post the intro post of The Case of the Misplaced Baroness.  I have decided, this time, not to do a webpage for the intro posts, but rather make the first blog post into an "anchor" post for the series -- with a TOC and links to related items.  And as such, I'll be changing it and editing it and adding to it over time. (In other words, treating it like a webpage, even though it's a blog post.)

In the meantime, The Man Who Stepped Up has made some great strides toward being an active manuscript.  Though the serial is the WiP for the time being.  I will be doing Sunday Updates starting this Sunday.  I have no guarantee that they will be interesting.  (One can hope....)

In the meantime, I shall take Lawrence Block's advice and try to remember to say "Rabbits, rabbits," when I wake up on May Day.

See you in the funny papers.

2 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Saw-toothed ducks sound scary! Sorry that you got off-track, but I certainly understand...that's where I am right now...off-track. (Sick child most of the month...couldn't get the right antibiotic to eliminate the strep--ick.)

Hope things look up soon and don't be too hard on yourself.

The Daring Novelist said...

I've disentangled myself from some of the issues, but I'm waiting for a few others which have lain dormant to pop out and get me.

As for the sawbilled ducks -- the county my father's family is from is named after the French name for the merganser duck -- a kind of pretty crested duck. Bec sie, means "saw beak" and got transliterated to Betsey.