Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Writing and Schedules

Finding the right schedule can be critical to writing. I always hear about people who were able to greatly improve their writing situation by getting up earlier or staying up later, or rearranging this or that.

I've been vacillating on the development of this blog, and I think it's time to try to impose a posting schedule. I'm not very good at imposing such restrictions on myself, but I think I ought to try on this.

The main goal of this blog has always been to support my daily writing habit -- just a place to post progress. But over the past 500+ posts, the blog has evolved to being more about writing and issues in fiction. I've been posting 500-1000 words a night on the blog, and I think it might be time to claim back some of that for my regular writing.

So I'm going to start a schedule of posting: I will still post every night, but on Monday, Wednesday and Friday nights I will post only updates on my progress, and maybe talk a little about what I'm working on. Saturday and Sunday nights will be for fiction and the "about the story" postings. That leaves only Tuesdays and Thursdays for posting the think pieces (although if I have a three part series or something I may add Friday to that part of the schedule).

We'll see how this works. Honestly, I've never been good about sticking to a schedule.

In the meantime, it's a Wednesday Night, so here's my progress: 336 words. On The Man Who Did Too Much. (I know, where did that come from?) Today was my long long day, and it was a busy one, so I am reasonably happy with that.

No comments: