Monday, April 12, 2010

Brainstorm Dare - Goals

Every day, from tomorrow to May 7th I am going to brainstorm 10-20 ideas each day. I'll probably set a topic each day before each session - flash fiction ideas for a particular character or series, ideas for a better twist on the climax of this or that book, red herrings, interesting clues, odd subjects, random words.

The ultimate goal, of course, is to have a lot of raw material to work with when I want to run up the word counts later on. I especially want to have some short story ideas for my Mick and Casey mystery series.

I didn't start today, because I was brainstorming on something less quanitfiable - a sequence of scenes that may turn out to be the climax of that fantasy series I would like to work on next year.

I also did taxes. But I didn't finish them.

3 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Brainstorming IS starting, I think! Good luck with your project!

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Carol Kilgore said...

I've never tried brainstorming in advance. But I love doing it with current projects.

The Daring Novelist said...

Idea generating is a great exercise to do when life is distracting, because you can just set a timer and do it. "Okay, 20 ideas on the concept of grass." And then you push push push, and you feel really accomplished.

And for short fiction, it really does let you hit the ground running.

I think toward the end of this, I'll probably re-read what I've done on The Man Who Did Too Much, and pick some items I need to brainstorm on for that. (I.e. - better ways to reveal X)