Tuesday, November 2, 2010

NaNoWrongMo Begins!

NaNoWriMo, or National Novel Writing Month, began today. Many many authors working diligently to write an entire (of short and clunky) novel in one month.

If you are a writer, it is a wonderful thing to take part in NaNo (or something like it) if you possibly can. The problem with NaNo is that most people can't possibly take part, either due to timing or other constraints (like you can't work on something in progress - it has to be a new work to count).

But that's where the "something like it" comes in. Every year I celebrate the month of NaNoWrongMo, which is basically the same as NaNoWriMo, except you choose your own constraints. (Even if you're just a reader you can take part!) I was going to write short fiction, blog posts and articles - but the novel I've been trying to finish was stubborn, so I decided to do stick at it.

As I mentioned earlier, I find that having people waiting to read chapters is a really good incentive to getting them done - and I owe a lot of people critiques - so I have turned this into a critique dare. The goal is to critique approximately a chapter a day for my group, and then work on my novel so I can post my chapters in return. (The group's ratio is three to one.)

I am a little bit ahead of the goal. I started ten days ago, and I have 13 crits up, so I think I can slack off for a day. Mondays are still my long days (though my schedule is better now) and I have to get up early tomorrow to vote. Plus I could use some sleep.

If only I could have done my original thing by writing blog postings, I've have something fascinating for you to read, but alas, you will have to wait a little bit longer.

In the meantime, what are YOU doing for NaNoWrongMo?

No comments: